Microsoft IE Question

Duane Murphy duanemurphy at mac.com
Wed Jan 15 08:27:05 PST 2003

--- At Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:15:10 -0800, David Crandon wrote:

>You didn't say what system you are running, but if I assume it's OSX, I
>have two suggestions.
>
>1.	Switch to Safari. It's incredibly fast.

But be aware that Safari is still beta software. It's not perfect and not
yet complete. There are some websites that donot work with Safari; but
not many.

>2.	Here's the IE explanation for it's cache settings. See if you can
>figure out what it means..I can't.

Let me add some information. Everytime a web page is received by your
browser,  the page includes caching information. The page indicates how
much time that the page is good for. This is what controls the setting
described below.

The idea is that the browser can send quick message asking if the page
has changed since the last time it requested it. These settings contol
that request.

Some websites present dynamic information that is updated often. EBay
wants to update all the information about auctions, Amazon has new sales
and ads, news web sites want to make sure you have the very latest
information. While you might see a "list of link" that list of links is
generated by the server based on who you are, what time of day it is, and
several other changing factors. So sometimes it is important to reload
the page.

You can turn this off as shown by these settings, however, be aware that
you will be viewing stale old maybe even incorrect information because of
that choice. Basically this places the control in your hands to reload
the page when you want the information updated.

So yes, it's annoying, but in many respects it is necassary.

>		Cache
>
>Once Per Session
>	Checks for updated content only if you return to a Web page you visited
>in a previous Internet Explorer session. If the page has changed,
>Internet Explorer displays the newer version of the page and stores a
>copy in the cache.
>
>Never
>	Displays Web pages you previously visited by downloading their content
>from the Web.
>
>Always
>	Checks for updated content each time you return to a Web page. If the
>page has changed, Internet Explorer displays the newer version of the
>page and stores a copy in the cache.

>Greg McNeil wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Why does a page containing a list of links (like eBay or MadFixIt)
>> always completely reload after using the back button to return from one
>> links to the main page?
>>
>> I'm not sure I described the very well so I will go thru it in steps.
>> I'm on a page which contains a list of links. I click one of the links
>> and view a new page. I click the back button but instead of just going
>> back to the list of links the page completely reloads. This is
>> especially annoying when the list of links contains lots of slow
>> of page to find the next link you want to view.
>>
>> Any ideas?

 ...Duane