[HM] Re: Microsoft IE Question

Duane Murphy duanemurphy at mac.com
Wed Jan 15 09:20:01 PST 2003

--- At Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:37:50 -0800, David Crandon wrote:

>Thanks Duane, I didn't know that's how the browser collects info about
>the page viewed. Problem is, I still don't understand the settings. I've
>read and reread the choices several times and it appears that all the
>settings will download a new page if any content has changed. Which
>setting just displays the page I looked at 2 min ago without downloading
>any newer info. Also, what's a "session"?

A session is running the application. That is the time between the
application starts and it quits. Session information wont be saved when
the app is quit. Basically it starts over again.

Wow, it's been a while since I actually checked these settings. They have
changed meaning. It appears that there is now no way to do what you want.
There used to be a way to do this (Never would have meant the opposite.
That is never download from the website if it's in the cache).

You might experiment with each setting and see how they work.
I guess enough dynamic web sites complained about users complaining that
they changed the settings.

>> >               Cache
>> >
>> >Once Per Session
>> >       Checks for updated content only if you return to a Web page you
>visited
>> >in a previous Internet Explorer session. If the page has changed,
>> >Internet Explorer displays the newer version of the page and stores a
>> >copy in the cache.
>> >
>> >Never
>> >       Displays Web pages you previously visited by downloading their
>content
>> >from the Web.
>> >
>> >Always
>> >       Checks for updated content each time you return to a Web page.
>If the
>> >page has changed, Internet Explorer displays the newer version of the
>> >page and stores a copy in the cache.

 ...Duane