[HM] Couple of questions

Barry blyden at mac.com
Sun Mar 28 09:14:49 PST 2004

Debbi,

Since nobody else has answered, I guess I will, although I'm not sure I
will be able to offering anything immediately useful.

There could be any number of reasons why this is happening, from
permissions problems to corrupt preference files, corrupt system files
or even bad or incompatible drivers or extensions. If you've gone
through the usual procedures of repairing permissions and throwing out
preference files, then using a utility to find problems (like you
mention below) is the the next step. There are various utilities you
can try (like Disk Utility, Norton, Disk Warrior, Techtool Pro), but
I'm not sure they will always be able to pinpoint a problem like yours.
But perhaps they can. But not being able to start from CD does limit
your ability to diagnose somewhat. In the end, a reinstall of the
applications or even the OS is often the only recourse.

My previous mac (a Titanium Powerbook) developed a similar problem
once. After fussing with it for a day I backed up one last time and
reinstalled the OS. All was fine after that. There may have been less
destructive procedures I could have followed, but my patience was
wearing thin and I had to finish a project by a certain time.

If nothing else, perhaps this response will prompt others to correct my
misstatements or offer additional support. Good luck!

Barry