[HM] Couple of questions

TeeGate TeeGate at comcast.net
Sun Mar 28 09:49:20 PST 2004

Debbi,

When booting up from the Norton CD, try it with all USB and other
connections disconnected. Also you should try to use at least the 6.0.3
version, even though that may not be necessary. See what happens then.

As for the IE freezing your system, you seem to have done what you
should have. So lets try an alternate route.

Make sure you are comfortable with this before you continue with what I
mention.

Go into your Control Panels and launch your Extension Manager. At the
top left of the Extension Manager window change the selected set to "Mac
OS 9.x.x Base." This will disable all of the extensions that IE and
other Microsoft programs install into your Extension folder. These files
are needed for those programs to run and can cause problems with the
said programs. Remember they are just being disabled and not deleted.

Now launch IE again and it will reinstall these extensions using a
program that should be on your computer since you just installed IE, and
the installer is called "Microsoft Internet First Run." You can make
sure you have it by looking in your IE folder and then in the folder
called "Microsoft Internet Self-Repair."

So after you have launched IE and it installs these files, see if it
freezes you up when you quit. If it does, this did not solve your
problem obviously. If it does not you are in good shape.

  Now you want to go back into your Extension Manager and switch back to
to your previous set, but it will now inform you that you have two
copies of the file since your Extension Manager is trying to put both
the original copy and the newly installed copy into the Extension
Folder. So you look at the bottom line where it says "Current Location"
and delete the one that says "Extensions (Disabled)." These are the
files that were originally in your Extension Folder and may be causing
you to freeze. The other files are the ones you just installed.

I hope this helps and works for you.

Guy