Burning (DVDs) and Boosting (iMovie audio) questions

John Teffer jdteffer at cox.net
Tue Dec 3 19:53:29 PST 2002

Hi all, this is my first time posting a real Mac DV post here, so hopefully
these are pretty easy questions.

I'm working on a little documentary video (only about 15 minutes long) for
an animal rescue group I volunteer for, and have only sporadic access to a
school computer lab to do my editing.

The machines in the lab are G4 towers, with the built in "SuperDrive" DVD
burner.

My first question is, what type of media should I buy to burn my finished
project to DVD?  I was at Best Buy this afternoon and asked, but no one
there knew anything about Macs.  Does the SuperDrive record to DVD-R,
DVD-RW, DVD+R, or DVD+RW?  (I think those were the ones they had.)

Second question:

Most of the audio in the video is voice-overs, which I recorded at home, by
connecting an external microphone to an iMac, and recording an Audio CD.

When I import the CD tricks into iMovie, it sounds great, but the few times
when I need to hear the audio from the original video, it is much too soft.

I've figured out how to LOWER the volume of a clip in iMovie, so I guess I
could just lower all the voice-overs to match the video audio, but I'd much
rather amplify the original audio somehow, to match the voice-overs.

My somewhat clumsy idea so far is to connect an audio amplifier between the
camcorder and the DV bridge when I import the video, so that I can raise the
audio level where it is needed, but if there's a way to do it within iMovie
without having to lug my stereo's cassette deck (the closest thing I have to
an audio amplifier, at least it has meters and level controls) to the
computer lab, I'd much rather do that.

Thanks for any ideas,

John