[MacDV] Phillips DVD Recorder..slightly OT

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Mon Dec 16 06:31:54 PST 2002

Kochkodin wrote:

>Greetings Lista's,
>    Two quick questions for y'all....Has any one used or know anyone that has experience
>with the Phillips stand alone DVD recorder..model # DVDR985?

Got one on tha desk here. It works easy enuf.

> I am interested in possibly
>getting it today or tomorow since it's on sale at Sears for $899 w/a $100 rebate and I
>have an extra 10% off thing for today and tomorrow.  Also, I have been talking to Apple
>Ed about the dual 867 w/ Superdrive, 1 gb Ram and an 80 gb hd for about $2200 or so
>delivered here in PA  (6% sales tax & free shipping)  Has anyone used this system to
>burn DVD's from VHS tapes?  Still trying to decide which way to go...
>Thanks in advance for your input...
>Regards,
>Mike K

if you have the time and you can deal witht  software I think that the
computer makes a better DVD.
The options in the menu are more and better.
The editing options when you use the computer witth iMovie and iDVD are
going to be much more creative than trying to
edit your VCR into the Phillips.
On the plus side the phillips is vey easy. However being a software
person, it is nervewracking to work right on the disk
as opposed to working on the HD and then burning a disk when it's done
as you do on the computer.
Jim