[MacDV] Re: Need help ***. Illustrator 10 *** First book ?

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Sat Nov 23 19:25:11 PST 2002

On 11/23/02 9:05 PM, "Erica Sadun" <erica at mindspring.com> wrote:

> At 1:41 PM -0600 11/23/02, Mark M. Florida wrote:

>>> Agreed.
>>>
>>> -- Erica, who is running Illustrator 6.01
>>
>> And I thought I was hanging on to old times with Illustrator 8!  (9 and 10
>> really are dogs!)
>
> And I'm using PageMaker 6.5. I'm seriously considering upgrading
> to InDesign, but I'm not sure what sort of win that will be for me.
> I'm using PageMaker and Illustrator a bit more than I used to
> because I'm using them to design menu screens for DVD Studio Pro
> but I'm not sure I really want to spend $$$'s for upgraded software
> when the old stuff still does the job. Thoughts?
>
> -- Erica

I'm with you on the PageMaker issue... I used to use PageMaker *A LOT* and I
still think it can hold it's own...  Let the Quark snobs flail aimlessly
with their buggy "uber" software (why the hell do you need to make a box
just to place a picture???).  Stick with PageMaker unless you get a new Mac
next year and need to upgrade to InDesign to run on OS X (since the Macs
next year supposedly won't boot into 9).  But then again... one thing that
*is* really cool about InDesign is the ability to place *native* Photoshop
and Illustrator documents (no more saving as EPS files), and then just doing
a "Save As" to make a PDF of the finished (or even draft) document...  So
maybe download the 30-day trial of InDesign and see if you're hooked --
supposedly it will open your old PageMaker documents no problem.

If you use Illustrator at all for layouts, I would say to try to find a copy
of 8.0 somewhere... Illustrator 7 was cool when it introduced layers, but
with Illustrator 8 the layers thing was fine-tuned, and the program as a
whole is a nice package.  And maybe if you go to OS X next year Adobe will
have worked out the bugs in Illustrator 10 (or come out with 11 and charge
for a bug-fix "upgrade").

Anyway, that's just my opinion...  ;-)

- Mark