Pioneer DVR 3100S: what have I got here?

YangZone at aol.com YangZone at aol.com
Tue Dec 16 17:54:33 PST 2003

I've been editing a few personal DV projects this year (15" PB 800, FCP 4.1) and been putting off getting a DVD writer until I absolutely need to finish and suddenly I was given a Pioneer DVR 3100S - (a kind of entertainment center unit that is designed to play DVDs and record from TV). It might be handy for that kind of activity but what I'm wondering is... if it might somehow substitute for an external DV-R that I was considering for my Powerbook 800 (not Superdrive).

It has DV In/Out but it's not a usual Firewire socket... as on say, a Hard Drive. It's the same as the socket on a DV Camcorder (the other end of the Firewire cable.)

Does this mean I can write to it... Export... and get a DVD? I'm wondering how I might use this unit with my Powerbook... or if it might even be relevant to final output from FCP.

'Not sure what I have here...

Pioneer DVR 3100S specs:

Key Features

Extremely High Viewing and Recording Flexibility with the new 'Time Shifting' Features, including simultaneous recording and playback.

Very fast response time and easy-to-use operation

Play back your recorded discs on a wide range of DVD players, including in-car systems, PC and Portable DVD players

Playback
DVR-3100-S

Media
DVD-Video/DVD-R/DVD-RW/CD/SVCD/VCD/CD-R/CD-RW

MP3
Yes

WMA
Yes

JPEG Photo Viewer
Yes

Virtual Surround (VR mode/Video mode)
Yes/Yes

Advanced Disc Navigator (DiscNavi) (VR mode/Video mode)
Yes/Yes

Seamless Playback (VR mode/Video mode)
Yes/No

CM Skip (Commercial Skip) (VR mode/Video mode)
Yes/Yes

Chase Playback, Playback with Recording (VR mode/Video mode)
Yes/No

Recording
DVR-3100-S

Media (VR mode/Video mode)
DVD-RW/DVD-R, DVD-RW

PAL/NTSC
Yes/Yes

Max. Recording Time
FINE: Approx. 60min
SP: Approx. 120min
LP: Approx. 240min
EP: Approx. 360min
MN: Approx. 60-360min
(32 steps)

Variable Bit Rate Recording
Yes

Easy Timer
Yes

ShowView/Video Plus+
Yes

VPS/PDC
Yes/Yes

Auto Start Recording
Yes

One Touch Recording
Yes

Direct TV Recording
Yes

Number of events
32/month

Linear PCM Recording (Audio)
Yes (FINE, MN32)

Editing
DVR-3100-S

VR Mode
Input Disc name, Input Title Name, Easy Title Input, Erase Title, Erase Chapter, Playlist, Accuracy: Frame, Chapter Mark, Undo

Video Mode
Input Disc name, Input Title Name, Easy Title Input, Wall paper samples (Finalization), Erase Title, Accuracy: Title, Chapter Mark: 10 min/15min/No seperation, Undo

Picture Quality
DVR-3100-S

Digital Noise Reduction
Component Frame DNR