Video static when transferring VHS-- MacDV Digest #1960

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Wed Feb 5 09:56:40 PST 2003

Michael,

Here's what you're probably seeing... and why it's not usually a problem:

If what you're referring to along the bottom looks like black with some
white wavy lines, you may be looking at the vertical interval (vertical sync
interval) of the video picture, and the switching between video heads on
your VHS deck.

There's not much you can do about it, except do a box wipe or horizontal
wipe to "wipe out" the vertical interval.

It's like a frame line on film, just much thicker... around 23 TV scan lines
thicker.

As another poster pointed out... it's probably not going to be a problem
when you watch the finished product on a TV or television video monitor.
That's because TV's and television video monitors normally "overscan" the
edges of the visible picture area by about 10 percent.  That means that you
see less than the full picture.  This was instituted in the 1950's when
television was new.

When looking at video on your computer during editing, the entire scan area
is visible in your edit window, so you notice things like the head
switching, or other stuff that's often contained in the vertical interval.

Hope you're enjoying the DVD of your wedding!

Ted.