8500 & VCD's

Phil A. Lefebvre p-lefebvre at northwestern.edu
Wed Feb 5 10:08:59 PST 2003

>Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 08:48:03 -0600
>From: "R. A. Cantrell" <racan at flash.net>
>
>I'd like to get the cd-r (video cd I guess) to play in all Macs, some PC's and
>some dvd players. I *think* that a Quicktime movie is what I'm talking about

Sorry, but I don't know of any DVD players that play QuickTime. Would
be a nice feature though. Anyway, what you want is a VideoCD.

>It is my intention to import video (footage?) from a Sharp analog
>video camera via the composite in jacks on the 8500 and into Strata
>Videoshop 4.5's Digitizing window. What is the best size setting for
>importing to (ultimately) get a 10-15 minute movie that will display
>into the formats I'm aimed at and  fit on a 700 mg cd-r?

320x240, using Component or Apple None as the compressor. That is the
best an 8500 can do.

>The  8500 has a lot of  ram (768mgs) a lot of storage (75 gigs) and a
>G3/300mhz processor. I have QT Pro 5 and OS 9.1.

Good. It should work fine as long as the hard drive is optimized.
Also, be sure to turn off all background processes like AppleTalk,
fax stuff, etc. In fact, just use a minimal extension set.

After it is captured and edited, use Toast Titanium to compress the
video to MPEG-1 and burn the VCD. It is the best overall package for
that.