[MacDV] Re: Pioneer dvr-105 and IDVD

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Wed Feb 5 10:19:35 PST 2003

To answer your questions: No and Yes. You forgot to tell us which G4
tower — 1999-2002 single 5.25" optical or the late 2002 MDD dual 5.25"
optical model?

Forget about using Pioneer DVD-RW drives outside your tower if you want
to work with iDVD 3. Remove it from the case, which you can recycle
with the optical drive you take out of an older tower or a large hard
drive, and put it in as a MASTER drive while making the other MDD
optical SLAVE (if appropriate). This will take you at most 5 minutes.
Then buy iLife, install iDVD 3 and you will be good to go. Make sure
you have installed the firmware patch for DVR-103 and DVR-104 drives to
prevent burning them up if you use 4x rated media.

For those of you who haven't heard — Pioneer DVR-105 4x burners go on
sale a lot at Staples and Office Max for $200 or less after rebates
hidden in a Maroon and Gold lettered white box labeled Cendyne (brand)
4x DVD-R/RW. You will see the model DVR-105 mentioned at the bottom of
the spec list on the back of the box just above the bar codes. The 105
(vs. A05) means it is missing the words "pioneer" on the faceplate.

You can also retrofit two 5.25" optical in any Mac Tower since 1999. I
have a DVD-RAM drive and the 105 inside my old B&W with a PowerLogix G4
Zif running @550 MHz processor upgrade and iDVD 3.