Art Gallery exhibit?

Fabian Ius Fabian_Ius at edu.yorku.ca
Sun Feb 9 08:31:41 PST 2003

Visited the Art Gallery of Ontario on Friday morning with a group of grade 5 and 6 students.
In one wing, there was an exhibit from a "video artist" (insert your own word/s between the parentheses) where he had set up three 27" t.v. sets "side-by-each". Underneath each unit were wooden cabinets, which were housing DVD players.

Anyway, on the first set was a DVD loop of a handheld-camcorder-closeup of the full moon with the sound of a campfire as the soundtrack (2min 45sec in length).

On the second screen was a DVD loop (1hour 45min) of mosquitoes flying (including the sound of their wings) in front of a screen-door somewhere in the wilderness as the sun was setting.

The 3rd screen displayed a DVD loop (3min 30sec) of a forest scene, with "forest" sounds, where the background was a still picture (not video) of a combination of deciduous and coniferous trees but there was one lone deciduous tree that appeared in the
foreground and was in a time-lapse mode (leaves and branches were moving quickly in the breeze).
Anyone care to share how this effect was achieved.
(Mask, blue/green screen, picture-in-picture, other ???)

By the way, only 1 of the 25 students thought that these DVD loops were considered "art".  And this was the student who last year came up with the idea of creating a "claymation" iMovie as a class project.
view student claymation @
<http://homepage.mac.com/fabulousfootage/fabulousmovies/iMovieTheater21.html>

This got us thinking, if we contacted the right people and sent a copy of our claymation movie to them at the AGO, perhaps we could set up our own "art" for everyone to view.  (it does have the "sculpture" aspect)  Very cool indeed!

By the way, please don't "steal" our idea, or we'll react like Cosmo Kramer from the Seinfeld episode where Calvin Klein "steals" his idea about perfume that smells like the beach. And then maybe we'll have to hire Jackie Childs to file a lawsuit !   ;-)