[MacDV] Re: Mobile Setup

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Feb 19 06:59:50 PST 2003

On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 06:36  PM, Erica Sadun wrote:

>> Exactly. I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. As I remember they recommend not
>> capturing to the OS disk. Michael Rubin suggests partitioning if a
>> second drive is not available.
>
> No! No no no no no!!!! Partitioning is EEEEEEEEEVIL. As I mentioned,
> it makes the disk head do too much work. (Okay, it's not the partition
> that is evil, but running the capture program on one partition and
> writing the data on another).

OK, I'll admit my ignorance and ask why this causes any more work for
the disk head. While capturing, isn't everything the program needs (the
code) for the task already in memory? If so, why should it make any
difference where the program files are located since they don't need to
be accessed during the capture?

And just to add a data point to the main topic of the thread, I've only
had one problem capturing video in a single drive system (one
partition) and that was a 450 MHz iMac DV that was low on disk space
and had never been defragged. You could really hear that drive working
trying to keep up, until it ultimately failed. A run-through with Plus
Optimizer to defrag the disk cured the problem though, and its been
working great ever since.

-Mike