[MacDV] fundamental question

Ken McNamara conmara at grandcanyonhiker.com
Fri Feb 28 09:35:25 PST 2003

Tim -

Computers are easy - video is a real pain in the toosh.

It has a lot to do with your expectations and real purpose.

I produced a 63 minute finished video on a Windoze 133Mhz Pentium with
64MB of RAM.  Bottom line is I accomodated the hardware's limitations
and developed a workflow that was managable.  Now I have a G4 with 1GIG
of RAM and while it is certainly better - it has limitations.

If you want to capture large amounts of high quality video - edit it as
if you had a professional suite - and finish it off in time for the
evening news - your frustration will be endless.

I suppose it's like any tool - give a master painter a paintbrush and
some mud - the results will be auctioned at Sotheby's someday.  Or Ansel
Adams a brownie... you get the point.

     KenMc - conmara at grandcanyonhiker.com
       http://www.grandcanyonhiker.com
              See our new video -
'Hiking the Grand Canyon - The Corridor Trails'