[MacDV] Re: Downloading Protected Files

Filipp Lepalaan filipp at mac.ee
Wed Jul 2 05:04:42 PDT 2003

This might seem alittle hard core, but:
Unless the file is being streamed (ie a Keynote)
a method that always works in OS X is:
2) search for ".mov"
3) Select the URL
4) Open Terminal
5) "cd Desktop" (or wherever you want the file)
6) Type "curl -O <cmd> -V
7) Wait for it to download.
8) Open in Quicktime Player.

But let's make this more interesting. Say you want *all* of the .mov
and .gif files with the word "Steve" somewhere in the filename, but
not the .mpeg's off of a certain site:
1) Install wget (either with fink or from
http://macosx.forked.net)
2) Fire up Terminal
3) "cd Desktop" (or wherever you want the files to appear, a new directory
will be created and the files will be placed neatly in the same hierarchy as
on the page)
3) Type "/sw/bin/wget -r -H -l5 --no-parent -A.gif,mov,*steve*" -R.mpeg
http://host/dir/ "

Further info: http://www.gnu.org/manual/wget/html_mono/wget.html

Hopefully this was helpful / interesting.

cheers,
filipp