[MacDV] Which 3ccd camera?

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Sun Jul 6 06:00:03 PDT 2003

Hi Richard,

I'm also in Japan; own the MX5000 (953 in the US, MX500 in Europe). It
compares favorably with the 950, not quite as good as the VX2000 -- but
at less than half the price it shouldn't be as good as the VX2000.

Tapes shot in the MX5000 play fine in my Sony decks (WV-DR5, DSR80 and
DSR20). Panny is being very aggressive on pricing -- best bang for the
buck out there in my opinion. We've taken footage from my MX5000 to air,
no problem.

Now, they've just released the replacement for the MX5000 -- called the
GS100k. It improves a bit on low light (still not nearly as good as the
VX2000), better lens and ccds and does 16:9 better for use on the wide
screen TVs here. It's only a bit more than the now discontinued MX5000
-- but I haven't seen any reviews of it's picture quality.

No real experience with the Canon camera.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan