[MacDV] Re: Analog capture card?

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Sun Jul 6 06:00:04 PDT 2003

>    Subaru Telescope has approved my proposal for an in-house video
> production facility.  I am looking into a fairly good analog capture capture
> card to import a bunch of video we already have taken by an analog 3CCD
> camcorder.  Anyone have suggestions?
>
> Best Regards
> Gary Fujihara

If you're using FCP, the new Aja I/O box is supposed to be quite good.
Blackmagic's Decklink SP card gets great reviews. If you're not tied to
FCP, and also have a little time, Avid is upgrading their XpressDV
product to XpressPro. Combined with their 'Mojo' box to be released this
fall, you'll have DV, DVCPro50, as well as compressed and uncompressed
SD. The box also acts as an accelerator for real time output (no
rendering) of multiple streams of DV. Given my past experience with Avid
products, even though it's vaporware at this point, when it is released
it will be a stable, solid product. I use the current XpressDV product,
and it is a great piece of work. I realize this is largely a matter of
personal tastes, but I find it better to work with than FCP 3.

Beyond this, more detail would be helpful -- do you want to keep the
video SD? transcode to DV? Need component i/o? Budget? Etc?

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan