Adobe drops Premiere for Mac

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Jul 9 18:33:52 PDT 2003

> From: Paul Moortgat <paul.moortgat at pandora.be>
>
> Adobe has a new Premiere (Pro) which will work under W$ only.  Now
> everybody to FCP.

To be blunt, this will likely be seen as the single biggest mistake
Adobe EVER made IMHO, though I'm not sure what Adobe could have done to
stop FCP's march towards market dominance (actually, I think that
already happened). Even a total rewrite of the program wouldn't have
helped much unless they DRAMATICALLY improved the performance (FCP
soundly whups Premiere's butt in this dept) and took on FCP's best
features head-on, neither of which they plan to do. Dropping it was a
mercy killing.

The Pro, Semi-Pro and Mac video-editing community now have NO REASON to
look at Premiere as an option, unless they are just too
comfortable/stubborn to move up.

Adobe is practically GIVING the video-editing market to Apple ... and
the Mac.

Perhaps it's their INTENTION to reposition Premiere as the tool of
choice for the "think they're pro's" PC types, but I doubt it. Still,
that's exactly what's going to happen. Which is a shame for those
people (some of whom are probably on this list) who like, use and are
good at Premiere.

Still, the writing's on the wall. FCP4 wasn't just an upgrade to FCP3,
it was a STUNNING barrage of improvements and add-on programs that
Adobe couldn't match if they tripled their Premiere dev team. The time
is coming when Premiere users will have to move on.

_Chas_

"To use the Mac is to be confronted, over and over, with the idea that
the most mundane task can be done artfully and compassionately,
beautifully and invitingly. " -- Glenn McDonald