[MacDV] Re: Much Ado About Nothing - Apple AD's in general

Matthew Guemple mo.og at verizon.net
Sat Jul 19 09:13:40 PDT 2003

>> int is that it's hard to show in 30 seconds how much easier it is to
>> use and how much better the results are than with that "other
>> operating system," i.e. in Windows ads they also tell you you can
>> make movies with their software.
> The days of "Rich Corinthian Leather" are replaced by cars zooming
> down roads at supersonic speeds, or perhaps dodging tornadoes, or
> driving wildly through empty streets.
I think we are all neglecting one essential issue. Apple is a lifestyle
machine, hence its more non-rich corinthian leather approach... we all
remember the first ad right? Sure they have dropped the price points,
but they still have a lot of work to do in terms of OS AND appropriate
Apps to make people (lots of people) think of it as a REAL work
machine. When if they ever manage to get (in some cases back) to the
point where everything is being written for both platforms that will
change. But for now most of the people who buy macs are creative (so
the lifestyle approach is still appealing) or students (same appeal) or
families (ditto).

Think of it this way, you buy a Ford SUV because it can haul a
generator, you buy a BMW SUV because it looks good ripping down some
crazy Italian Alps chicane with one of those cool fixed wide angle
cameras attached to the bumper. Apple will always be the BMW to
Gateways Ford.

Matthew Guemple
c. 646.734.6601
h. 646.742.0994
matblack at mac.com

Matthew Guemple,
Art Director, Men's Fitness
1 Park Avenue, 3rd Flr, New York, NY 10016
646.935.6919
matt.guemple at weiderpub.com