[MacDV] New to list - suggestions invited, please!

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sun Jul 27 21:13:53 PDT 2003

Canopus ADVC-100 analog to DV transocder $259 (google to find
comparisons)

<http://www.canopus.com/US/products/advc-100/pm_advc-100.asp>

I don't know where you got your misinformation. The external Canopus
converter is the best you can get.

Firewire into a G4 or G5 Power Mac running FCP 3 or just plain old
iMovie 3.0.3. Forget about buying a G3. That would be the dumbest thing
you could do. G3s are becoming Multimedia dinosaurs because of iChat
AV, FCP Real Time and the G5. You're better off with a 450 G4 than a
700 G3.

Toast 6 will let you make SVCDs easily in September. $99 minus
introductory rebates/upgrade price.

But you should really buy a new dual 1.25 GHz G4 for $1599 to avoid
frustration. Especially with FCP 3. The price is too low to ignore any
longer. Apple will let you pay just a few dollars a month to own one.

I think putting money into old slower Macs is short sighted and may
lead to big disappointments soon thereafter. If this reads like I think
you can afford it and you don't think you can, I apologize. I believe
in debt and financing rather than going with less than the best.
Other's don't.

On Sunday, July 27, 2003, at 08:13  PM, MrWitch wrote:

> I know that this is a Digital Video list, but this subject is
> related...
>
> I am new to Macs, but have used & built PC's for years, and have tried
> to do video capture on my PC, but it crashes too much for it to be
> reliable. I currently have a PM 7300/200 running OS 9.1 and OS X
> 10.1.5, comfortably I might add. What I want to do is capture analog
> video from VHS tapes (about 500 of them!) to a Mac, and then burn
> Video CD's, Super Video CD's, or DVD's from these captured tapes.
>
> I asked on the G-List about the cheapest machine that I could use for
> this, and I have decided on buying a Blue & White G3 or a Sawtooth G4.
> I would like the opinions of this list on the following, though:
>
> I'd prefer a PCI capture card/TV tuner card, but all I have seen for
> Macs are professional cards that cost upwards of $700 or much more. Is
> there a Mac PCI card out there that is inexpensive, can capture at
> least 352x288 or better, captures stereo audio, & works with OS 9 and
> OS X? Or do I have to go with a FireWire A/D D/A box that's still
> overpriced and doesn't do as well?
>
> Is there a all-in-one software solution for OS 9 or OS X or both that
> is easy to use, reliable, and inexpensive or free for
> capturing/editing/filtering/encoding/burning VCD/SVCD/DVD's?? If not,
> what programs do you recommend, and where can they be found?
>
> I do have copies of iMovie, Final Cut Pro 3, and Final Cut Express.
> Are these good for what I want to use them for? None (except iMovie,
> which came with OS X) are installed yet. I have some very good friends
> who are Mac nuts who have tried to help me out, but they don't know
> about video stuff...
>
> This is all new to me, so forgive me if my questions are simplistic.
> With the software side, I will need lots of help, so good
> documentation is a must - either on the Web or in the program itself.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Michael
>

> --
>

> --
> Apple Power Macintosh 7300 200 MHz running OS 9.1 & OS X 10.1.5, w/
> 288 MB RAM
> Apple Macintosh IIfx running MacOS 8.1, w/ 40 MB RAM

> digest version.

> <http://www.macresq.com>

kunga10 (AIM)
kunga47 (Yahoo Messenger with Cross-Platform dial-up Video sans audio)