S-VCD Refresher course needed

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Jun 10 20:48:46 PDT 2003

> From: Gerhard Kuhn <suspice at hay.net>
>
> In my experience a cd drive equipped PC will not play VCDs there may be
> special software available to facilitate this but out of the box it
> doesn't work.

I believe Windows Media Player will play the VCDs, but otherwise a PC
owner can always run over to download.com or something like it, do a
search for "vcd" and find a freeware/shareware player. I just did a
quick search on Versiontracker.com (the Windows side) and found "Sonic
Cineplayer" that will do the job.

The Mac also requires "special software" I suppose, though I think the
Quicktime Player can play the actual files ON the VCD, it doesn't start
up "automatically" or anything. There are several VCD players for Mac,
but I use VLC for Mac OS X, because it seems to play just about
anything (particularly good for weird PC-only formats).

_Chas_

Q: How many Microsoft programmers does it take to write a great piece
of software?

A: More!