[MacDV] Academic $249 DVDSP 1.5 to 2.0 Update for $30 More

Ron Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Thu Jun 19 15:34:31 PDT 2003

As I understand it, DVDSP 2.0 will have some of the better features of
iDVD as well.  Specifically, the themes.  I just bought a single copy
of  DVDSP 1.5 to get up to speed with the interface before 2.0 is
released, and I plan to upgrade that copy for another $30.  But I'm
waiting until the 2.0 release to buy enough for the student labs.  last
year, we used iDVD but realize now we need the full-blown product to
give students the ability to be more creative.  iDVD is too limiting
for professional work.  Still I find that I often use iDVD first
because it's nice to have a coherent design theme as a starting point,
then bring it into DVDSP 1.5 to tweak it in ways not possible in iDVD.
I think that new feature and the other additions will make DVDSP 2.0 a
compelling upgrade,   I'm thinking it will be easier for students to
use DVDSP 2.0 and I'm glad I waited to add it to our software
repertoire.

I'm a little put off by Apple's pricing structure, however.  In
education, it's hard to fork over $249 per copy each time there's and
upgrade.  I've done it twice already with FCP, and expect to do it
again with 4.0.  I'm not sure how often we can do that, but then again
how can we not have the latest and greatest for our students?  It's
just one of the reasons they choose our degree program over others, but
it's a big one.

On a more positive note, I got an e-mail today from our Apple rep.
offering a free copy of FCP 4 with each new Mac bought before the end
of the quarter.  I am counting the hours until Steve Job's keynote
address on Monday to make my purchase decisions for this year's new
Macs to replace my three-year-old ones.  From the rumors, this is going
to be a great day for Apple.

Ronald Woodland, Assistant Professor                       435.652.7857
Director of Visual Technologies Program
Dixie State College - St. George, Utah  84770

woodland at dixie.edu                                     cit.dixie.edu/vt
woodland at infowest.com
This email is a natural human product.  Slight variations in spelling
and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and should in
no way be considered flaws or defects.