[MacDV] Re: Exporting stills from Final Cut Pro vs Premiere

sb videovideo at mac.com
Sat Mar 1 19:37:42 PST 2003

Ah Lynn, where to begin....

I assumed you had some knowledge of OSX, non-linear editing and Final Cut
Pro...  sorry.

Here's a step by step tutorial for you:

First, in FCP, to shorten the clip set in and out points in the timeline for
the snippet you want to export.

You do this by moving the playhead (yellow triangle) to the frame you want
to start with and clicking the I (for "in") key. Do the same for the
outpoint, move the playhead to the last frame and click the Oh (for "out")
key.  NOT Zero!

Now, under the File menu, select Export>Quicktime and under the Format Popup
select Image Sequence.
Click on the Options to set the frame rate of 29.97 and to select Photoshop
as the format.

Don't forget to give it a name (Sequence 1 is the default, and the stills
will be called 01, 02, 03, etc.) and create a new folder where you want
these stills to reside, otherwise you'll have them all over the place. Click
Ok, click Save.

Now hide or quit FCP.

Now, to get them to open in PS7 in OSX...

All you have to do, is to find the folder with the exported images.
Select the first image (Sequence 1 01.psd) by clicking on it ONCE to select,
NOT double-click to open.

Now click CMD-I (get info)
Under "Open With" change the default Preview to Photoshop 7. If you have
classic, make sure it's the PS7 from OSX - it should be at the top of the
drop down menu.

Click Change All.

Now try double clicking on the first still image. It should launch PS7 and
open.

regards,

sb