[MacDV] Re: Audio Extraction from MPEG movie

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 9 05:01:31 PST 2003

On Saturday, March 8, 2003, at 12:00  PM, Len McGrandle wrote:

> Your easiest solution is to download AudioHijack which intercepts the
> sound played from any source and gives you the option of recording it
> in AIFF or MP3 (the Pro Version at least).  I use it with iMovie 3 or
> Final Cut Express to tweak the sound before capturing.

I've been playing around with various freeware and low cost audio apps-
trying to find the best solution for cleaning up some video with
sub-standard audio. What I have is video (shot by someone else) where
the audio seems to have been recorded at too low a level. When I turn
up the volume high enough to hear the music, I also clearly hear tape
hiss.

Amadeus' "denoise" operation will remove the hiss, but it also removes
part of the music and spoken voice in the softer areas. I found that I
can cure the problems with Audio Hijack Pro by running the audio
through the ten-band EQ and Double Gain effects.

I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to me that, if I record the Audio
Hijack output as an AIFF file and try to replace the bad audio with the
improved version, I'm going to have a devil of a time syncing the audio
with the video. Your message said you used Audio Hijack to "tweak the
sound BEFORE capturing." That would definitely solve my problem, but I
can't figure out how you accomplish the "before" part.

Steve Robertson