[MacDV] Re: iMovie import Limits (time/size)

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Mar 12 07:24:53 PST 2003

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 08:33  AM, L.Cornelio wrote:

> Can anyone address this from experence? What is the value of iMovie now
> being able to do chapetrs if one must chop up the movie into 10 minute
> segments to import to iMovie?

You kind of have it. This is how it works for me if, say I wanted to
import 60 min worth of video.

Start up iMovie, create a new project and start importing.

As it imports, it gets segmented into roughly 9 min 30 sec (1.9 GB)
clips.

I can then re-assemble the video in its entirety by dragging all the
clips into the timeline -nothing is lost. Or if you prefer, put
together a chapter or whatever else you may want in the timeline.

Then I can export what's in the timeline in whatever manner I want. The
irony is that I can export to a Full Quality Quicktime file which will
result in a single file of 10-12 GB. No size limit there that I've
found, which really makes me wonder why the 2 GB file size limit is
still there for importing. The only plausible explanation I've heard so
far is that iMovie still uses some Carbon code that doesn't work with
larger file sizes.

As an aside, I've asked on this list and others if there's a way to
keep iMovie from splitting the video on import, but nobody has come up
with a solution they're telling me about, so I'm assuming it can't be
done.

-Mike