File Imports

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Mar 25 09:32:10 PST 2003

> From: Bo / Sir Ix <bo at macomb.com>
>
> What can I used to bring AVI, WMV or ASF files into iMovie to combine
> things?

There's an OS 9-only utility called ASF converter which will convert
ASF to MOV. It doesn't run in Classic but runs in OS 9.2.x and
presumably earlier just fine.

Most AVIs should play in Quicktime and therefore be importable into
iMovie3. If you're not using 3, then you'll have to use QT Pro to
convert the AVIs that are playable in Quicktime into DV Stream format.
Then iMovie2 will see them (this also applies to the converted ASF
files mentioned above).

AVI files that cannot be played in Quicktime can *usually* be converted
to another format such as MPEG-1 through the use of something like
FFMPEG X. From there they can be used in iMovie3 or demuxed and
reassembled/saved to MOV through Quicktime Pro.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way presently to convert WMV
to another format and ergo you can't use it with iMovie (or anything
else for that matter). I'd love to be corrected on this point.

BTW -- funny name. Took me a minute to get it. :)

_Chas_

"Of course the people don't want war ... But after all, it is the
leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a
simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a
fascist dictatorship or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ...
Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of
the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are
being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and
exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same way in any
country."
- Hermann Goerring, founder of the Gestapo and Hitler's "No. 2"