iPhoto to Final Cut Pro?

James Hays jhays at post.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 28 10:16:04 PST 2003

What is the best way to get an iPhoto2 slide show into a Final Cut Pro project?

Exporting from iPhoto produces a QuickTime .mov file that plays
beautifully in QuickTime Player, but produces no video at all when
imported into FCP.  (Dark screen while the playhead moves across;
audio sounds normal.)  The .mov file is not recognized at all by
iMovie3.

Using QuickTime Pro, it is easy to convert this .mov file into a DV
Stream ( .dv) which will import into FCP (and iMovie), but the video
quality is poor.  Playing this .dv file in QuickTime Player also
yields poor video, unlike the original .mov file.

In addition to the iPhoto default format of 640x480, I have also
tried 720x540 and 720x480, but the results were no better.

When I do an "Item properties" on the .mov files, the Compressor:
item is blank.  For the .dv files, the Compressor: is "DV/DVCPRO -
NTSC".  Frame rate is 29.97 for both.

PowerMac G4/450DP, MacOS 10.2.4, QuickTime 6.0.1, FCP 3.0.4

Many thanks for your advice.

--Jim Hays
Jim Hays                                     		 jhays at post.harvard.edu
3381 W. Foxes Den Drive                        	(520) 903-1634
Tucson AZ 85745