[MacDV] Chopping a movie

Randy Wilson WilsonR at fonix.com
Mon Mar 31 13:55:41 PST 2003

The three biggest things on my wish list for iMovie when using iMovie 2
were
1) Fix the bugs
2) Able to adjust audio levels (e.g., to make music quiet when people
are talking)
3) Able to export selected sections of a movie separately

iMovie 3 did fix some bugs, but also introduced even more.  It did add
the audio level adjustments, so that is wonderful.  It added chapter
markers, but apparently that has nothing to do with splitting the movie
up unless you happen to be exporting to iDVD.

So, I don't think there's really any way to do it.

One way you might consider is to export the entire movie either to tape
or to a DV stream so that all of the audio is combined, etc., and then
import it back into iMovie (into the clip shelf).  Then you can simply
grab each clip you want, put it into the timeline, export that, then
grab the other parts, etc.  You can't do this when you have a bunch of
audio tracks and transitions, which is why you would need to export the
whole thing first--to "render" the entire video so that it is treated as
just a single track of video.

--Randy

>>> PHILLIE at wyeth.com 03/31/03 02:12PM >>>
I had a movie that had several parts to it and I wanted to divide the
movie so that when I put it to VCD people could select different
segments to watch. Since I decided to do this after I had edited the
whole movie I had to select each segment, cut it and export it. I had
added a second audio track for background music. When I tried to
segment
the movie the video would cut at the places that I set the markers but
the second audio track would stay intact. I would then have to select
each piece of music I put in and delete it separately. I had one piece
of music for each segment. Is there an easier way to do this or do I
need to think farther ahead next time and build the segments
separately
from the beginning?

Since I had to do several steps for each segment I couldn't just do an
Undo at the end to get back to my full length movie to chop out the
next
segment. If I went File, Open Project and try to reopen the project I
was working on it would not give me the full movie, I had to close
iMovie and relaunch the app then I would get the full movie. Is there
way of getting the full movie back without restarting the app?

One last question: I edited the volume of the original audio track and
the background music. I used Toast5.0.2  to compress the video and
VCDBuilder to put the segments together. In the resulting VCD the
volume
edits did not exist, everything was at full volume. I haven't had the
chance yet to check if the .mov files had edited or nonedited volume.
Any suggestions?

I am using iMovie 3.0.2.

Thanks.
Eric

<http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/MacDV.html>.
Send a message to <MacDV-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the
digest version.

 XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
Dr. Bott | Now $139.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

   Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
   Outpost    |         http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only
$879!