[MacDV] Re: OSx.2.4

Randy Wilson WilsonR at fonix.com
Mon Mar 31 13:58:31 PST 2003

I just bought a 180GB WD hard drive and put it in a FireXpress firewire
enclosure.  I made a 50GB "DV" partition that I can wipe clean when it
feels fragmented, and a 116GB partition for everything else.  It has
worked great when plugged into my iBook (600Mhz 14.1" 10.2.4), at least
so far.  However, it consistently causes my old computer to hang (UMAX
SuperMac J700, 180Mhz 604e, OS 9.2 (or is it 9.1?), with a firewire
card) when I try to copy more than a few files to it.  It also caused a
G4 PowerMac desktop machine (dual 533MHz processor, running OS X 10.2.4)
to hang when trying to copy a lot of files off of it, though I did get a
lot of stuff copied first.  By "hang" I mean that force quit wouldn't
respond, and I got an eternally spinning lollipop.  The dock worked for
a moment, probably until it tried to access the hard drive; then that
was it and I had to do a hard reset.

What's up? Shouldn't 10.2.4 be able to avoid hanging even if there are
disk errors?

I have run Software Update on both machines that hung, and appear to
have the latest of everything.

Is there any way to diagnose such problems?

--Randy

>>> ed at sheepnoirfilms.com 03/31/03 01:38PM >>>
I rolled my system back to 10.2.3 so I could continue to use my Sony
DV
Media Converter. My firewire external was not a problem with 10.2.4 but
the
media convertor was/is.