Please, please trim the excess baggage from your quoted postings.

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Thu May 8 23:02:00 PDT 2003

Bill--

Just so you won't feel like a complete outcast, I wanted to let you
know that at least one other member of this list agrees with you.  :-)

It would certainly be more considerate if responders would clip out
excess verbiage from their replies (like the boilerplate that the
MacDV list adds at the end of every message it sends, for example).
But being considerate of others isn't as much in fashion as it used
to be.

Some people are just lazy.

Others may subscribe to the individual messages version of the list
and haven't considered the fact that digest subscribers have to
scroll through all the quoted stuff to find the following message, or
that it increases the download time for dial-up users. Yet others are
aware of those factors, but could care less because they don't
subscribe to the digest version anyway, and/or they're on a broadband
connection.

And when you use inflammatory terms like "cotton picking", watch out!  :-)

So don't hold your breath waiting for a big improvement. If we're
lucky, a few may cut back on their excessive quoting a bit.

Just as an aside, I recall once on another list where a member quoted
the entire digest to respond to a single message. Be glad we don't
have many of those here.  :-)

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>