Re Western Digital hardrive Unsupported

Bill Freeman flipflapco at mchsi.com
Fri May 9 06:07:20 PDT 2003

>Bill
>
>Thanks - So both your WD 120gb 8mb cache drives are recognized in drive
>setup and system profile externally?

They definitely show up in system profile on all the systems I'm
using. I think I initialized them using OSX Disk Utility.  I would
expect OS 9.2 would be equally capable, but can't remember if I tried
that.

>Which system(s) are you using?

I currently have boot partitions setup with 8.6, 9.22, 10.24 and
10.25.  The 8.6 partition uses the "Heat Utilities" firewire
extension.  I couldn't get OS 8.6 Apple Firewire extensions to see
the external drive.

>Under 9.04 apparently this is not unusual.  However I was surprised
>that 10.2.3 would not support it being initialized.

That surprises me too.  It's been a while but I believe I initialized
both my drives using whatever was the current version Disk Utility
and OSX at the time.

BTW, my firewire external drives do go to sleep when they are not in
use.  I'm not sure if it's the drive itself, or the Mac OS that
controls the sleep schedule.  It's been OK as is so I haven't tried
to modify the sleep schedule.