[MacDV] Re: DVD MEDIA...

Peter Tattersall ptatters at zerobyzero.ca
Sat May 10 11:04:26 PDT 2003

Alan, you misunderstood - when it comes to DVD+R incompatibilities with
Macs, I'm referring to recording. Unless later models of the Pioneer
drives allow it, AFAIK you cannot record a DVD+R disk in a Mac.

As for compatibility on playback, I can't speak from personal
experience, but it is my understanding that DVD-R disks can be played
back on more drives than DVD+R disks. That does NOT mean that DVD+R
disks can't be played on DVD players, just that you have to test first
- which is true in any case of all the formats, there are no universals
even for commercial recordings (two different copies of Monsters Inc,
for example, froze at the same spot on my Pioneer player, though they
worked on my other players). In any case, the balance between DVD-R and
DVD+R compatibility may be shifting - the most recent updates on the
DVD player list at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php seems to me
to be showing more DVD+R players than a few months back.