[MacDV] Re: Do not have cash to blow:(

doug lauber dugster77 at earthlink.net
Wed May 14 07:18:23 PDT 2003

Erica Sadun wrote:

> >What I *did* say is that if you are interested in writing
> >professional screenplays, invest in professional tools (and
> >professional learning). Final Draft can't turn a piece of shit story
> >into an Oscar-winning screenplay, but given that feature screenplays
> >sell for $200,000 or more (and even hour-long TV Drama screenplays
> >sell for $50,000 or so), an investment of $200 that will help make
> >your story presentable to the industry seems to me a worthwhile use
> >of funds -- if you are serious about screenwriting.
>
> Personally, I'd spend that $200 on writing courses over at
> the community college and use a notebook and pen if needed
> for the script. One may turn out to be a gifted screenwriter
> or not, but education is never wasted.
>
> -- Erica

Even $200 worth of books might be a good investment.
I've probably gone through $400 worth of books over the
last ten years. Directing, writing, published screenplays, etc.
There's also the newsgroup:  miscellaneous.writing.screenplays
-doug
BTW, there are probably many websites that are informative too