iTunes AAC to iMovie 2

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu May 22 01:54:28 PDT 2003

> From: Juan Mariscal <juanm at mac.com>
> the question i have is how does one convert these AACs to AIFF.

As with so many things Macintosh, there are at least two ways (very
Zen, innit?):

1. Burn the tunes to an Audio CD. Change iTunes' "Import" preferences
to AIFF encoder and re-import the tunes. You can also choose to make
them MP3s if you prefer, but re-compressing is likely to make the sound
quality suffer.

2. By changing the Import preferences as described above, you can
convert directly by selecting an AAC tune and going to the "Advanced"
menu where there will be an item called "convert selection to AAC."

>> iTunes will, so use that. It will not let you (directly) convert to
>> MP3, however.
>
> How does iTunes allow you to export the files to another format and
> what format would that be?

See above. Also I should have been more clear on my answer:

iTunes does not allow you to convert an AAC file *purchased from the
iTunes Music Store* (hereafter referred to as "protected AAC") directly
to MP3. As I described above, this can be worked around and is designed
primarily to stop widescale pirating.

AAC files you have encoded yourself (using iTunes 4 or other options)
are NOT protected and CAN be converted to MP3 directly, but again it's
a re-compression so sound quality suffers.

_Chas_
"We don't want to be like Windows. We want to do everything better. We
are intent on creating the greatest computers and the best computing
experience in the world. And we are the only ones who can say that with
a straight face." -- Greg Joswiak, Apple VP of hardware product
marketing