Best capture formats?

Dr. M. Burek mrwitch at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Oct 7 19:15:20 PDT 2003

I have just gotten a Formac TVPro II PCI card for my Mac, to capture
from VHS tapes. I plan on making VCD's or SVCD's now, but I'll be buring
DVD-R's later, once I can get a faster Mac w/ a DVD burner.

I'm using Formac's drivers and applications (for the moment) in both OS
9 and OS X jaguar. Works great, too. What I would like to know is, what
is the best capture format to do this?

I'm planning on using either iMovie and/or Toast 6 to edit and burn the
final disc with. I need to keep the capture file fairly small (about 4-5
GB for an hour of video), and my Mac isn't very fast. It's a 7300
upgraded with a Sonnet G3/400 with 1 MB of L2 cache. I can capture in
either OS 9.1 or OS X to maximize my available speed resources, but will
be doing all manipulation of the data under OS X.

Rendering times and all of that isn't a problem, I can leave the Mac on
overnight if necessary to do that. I am primarily concerned with
skipping frames & best quality I can get with what I have.

Thanks for any help

Apple Power Macintosh 7300 Sonnet G3 400MHz w/ OS 9.1 & OS X Jaguar
10.2.6  288MB RAM 10GB IBM UltraStar HD & Yamaha CRW4416SX CD-RW