[MacDV] Re: iMovie Titles Using Photoshop

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Tue Sep 9 08:42:52 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 11:28 AM, Steven Rogers wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 10:07 AM, Erica Sadun wrote:
>
>> iMovie wants 4:3. It doesn't have to be 640x480.
>
> Yeah, I really meant 640:480 and/or 720:480

But just the other day Erica said "640x480, it's an iMovie thing".
Which I understand to be the case. So if you go with the 720 instead
shouldn't you also increase the other one to like 512 or something to
keep the aspect ratio? This is what I thought I read for doing this
with FCP?

>> This lets you design your art in Photoshop with the same aspect that
>> you'll see it on your TV.

That would seem to make sense and be intuitive but for the
square/rectangular thing.
Just putting in my blurry 2c.

> Is there something to look at in iMovie that would make it clear why
> this is so? I thought the 640x480 window in iMovie was a rendered
> preview (hence all the jaggy text issues) from the underlying 720x480
> media. However, since its software it doesn't necessarily have to make
> sense . . .

No it doesn't.