QuickTime Options

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 13 07:00:49 PDT 2003

I asked a similar question back when I was using iMovie: What are the
best options to use when creating a QuickTime movie from a DV project?

Now I'm using FCE. The latest project was a 5 minute music video. Since
I've never found much documentation on QuickTime, I decided to
experiment. I decided to make all the sample QuickTime movies with a
360 by 240 player window and 30 frames per second. The default codec in
FCE is simply labeled "Video." Using the Video codec and specifying
High quality, I got a very nice looking QuickTime movie of 29.8 MB. The
Video Medium movie still looks pretty good and is 11.9 MB

Switching to Sorenson 3, the resulting High quality movie exhibited
more pixellation than the first movie, and the file size was 81.6 MB. I
tried Sorenson 3 Medium quality, hoping for a smaller file size, but I
got a worse looking movie taking the same 81.6 MB.

Switching to MP4, High quality, I got a movie with too much pixellation
and a file size of - you guessed it- 81.6 MB! I didn't bother with MP4
Medium quality.

So are there deeply hidden QuickTime options that are preventing me
from achieving the superior quality with Sorenson codecs that others
have reported? Anybody found good documentation on QuickTime?

Steve R.