[MacDV] Capture Stops Due To Missing Data On Tape

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Sun Dec 26 10:28:19 PST 2004

With the right deck, like a Sony DSR25, Final Cut will search the tape
after a data dropout, find the next scene, cue up, and digitize the
next scene as a new file. This will happen until the tape is done. I've
had a few DV tapes which resulted in 10-20 digitized segments.

This is an issue which disappears as the video camera itself gets more
sophisticated. A Sony PD150/170, for example, properly inserts the next
recording with frame accuracy to the end of the last piece.
Essentially, in old analog terms, the camera assemble edits as it
records each new scene. The resultant tape has clean time code from
beginning to end.

Richard Brown