[MacDV] New to list: Questions about DV components

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Tue Feb 24 12:30:00 PST 2004

If you're dead-set on getting a converter rather than a miniDV or Digital8
camcorder with pass-through, then I'd highly recommend the Canopus ADVC-100.
I know MacMall has them 'cause that's where I got the one I use at work.
I've had absolutely no problems with it, and the results have been good.

As far as the conversion from DV to DVD, if you have a G4 tower, you can get
an internal ATA Pioneer DVR-106 drive (or any model 103, 104, 105 as well)
and use iDVD.  Or if you are limited to an external FireWire drive, any
drive with the Pioneer mechanism should do, and you'll need something like
Toast Titanium 6.0 to help you with the conversion to DVD video.

One last option would be something that would go straight from analog to
MPEG-2 like the Elgato EyeTV 200:

http://www.elgato.com/products/eyetv200.html

Looks like you'll still need Toast Titanium to create the DVDs, though.

Hope that helps

- Mark