[MacDV] Re: Apple abandons the G3 chip

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Wed Jan 7 08:05:13 PST 2004

On Wednesday, January 7, 2004, at 10:53  AM, Ryan Sutter wrote:

> Um...  No.  I spent $1200 on my bondi iMac but I don't expect it to be
> able to still handle all my computing needs.  It does what it can do.
> It has limits.  All machines do.  If I wish to go beyond those limits,
> I need a different computer.  No computer can ever be expected to
> continue to run everything that comes out in the future and by
> computer standards a B&W G3 is ancient.  Keep it and use it within
> it's limits and know when to move on or sell it and put it towards a
> newer machine (a used G4 tower can be reasonably had).  You haven't
> lost a bunch of money, you've spent it wisely on years of use.  It's
> time to invest in another 5 years of use out of another machine. Since
> 1997 I've gone through a 7200, iMac, G4/400 and currently use a
> TiBook.  I sold the 7200 and G4/400, gave the iMac to my kid and use
> the TiBook every day even though I intend to replace it when there is
> a G5 Powerbook.  I don't consider a penny of the money I've spent
> wasted.  Each machine served me well within it's capabilities.  The
> iMac still works fine for my kid.  What is there to complain about?
>
> Ryan

Well consider that I spent over $4000 on hard and software 2+1/2 years
ago.
It has performed wonderfully and still does.
But even the clients want me to have a DP so less hours. And then
consider that my FCP 3 and 4 discs are upgrades so uninstallable unless
previous versions have been there.
  Would I have to start again from FCP2 on a G5?  would FCP2 even
install on a  G5?
You know... stuff like that..
Jim