[MacDV] External Hard Drive Issues & Questions

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Jan 26 09:17:32 PST 2004

On Jan 25, 2004, at 1:16 PM, William Hofius wrote:

> Is this a problem with the external hard drive? (A cheap FireWire
> bridge or controller for example.) Is this an issue with having a
> single FireWire port? Is the issue resolvable?

First, you're sure you formated it as HFS+? With or without journaling?
  Select the drive in the Finder and select File->Show Info from the
menu and look at what it says next to "Format:"  to be sure. IIRC you
really need to have journaling turned off when capturing to external
drives.

Second, unless I missed it, you didn't say if you could capture to your
internal drive. If you haven't tried it, take the external drive out of
the loop, and try capturing to the internal drive. If that works, try
doing the same (capture to your internal drive) with the external drive
attached and on. That will at least verify that its an external
drive/FireWire problem.

-Mike