[MacDV] An Interesting Point. What To Do About Archives

Roger Harris roger at rogerdharris.com
Sun Jun 6 14:35:26 PDT 2004

William, I handle files a bit like Shirley. I have a B&W G3 that is now
a G4 with three 80 gig drives. It is networked to my MDD G4 that has 2
80 gig and one 120gig drive and a beige G3 450  with a 60 and 30gig. The
beige is holding a lot of music and is a print server for a large format
Epson 3000 printer; It is also connected to a stereo for the music.
Files I am working on and those in limbo are on the MDD and B&W. I put
video to CD/DVD disk and back to tape when I am done with edits. I have
older relatives that put the digital tape in the camera and run it on
the TV. I am very new to video and nothing is professional.

My photo and graphics work is professional and I don't handle the files
much differently. But my professional work when burned to CD is kept
viable buy using DiskTracker and QPict. These are both database type
applications that allow me to keep track of files no matter were or how
they are stored. These applications are about $35 each. I was using
iView Media Pro; It is used buy lots of professionals for video, photo
and other images files. I don't like iView Media Pro at all. The data is
kept in a proprietary data structure and I find the notation and
cataloging very clumsy If you have a lot of things store to CDs and DVDs
DiskTracker is a must. It is also simple if you want simple and advanced
if you need. My jury is still out on QPict; But it is much better and
cheaper than iView Media Pro. iView Media Pro is $200 and not much fun;
I cannot figure why it is so popular.

Now you know more than you wanted to.

Roger