[MacDV] Re: analog sound

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Tue Jun 15 19:39:00 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, June 15, 2004, at 09:52  PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>> I have a beautiful mono, analog Sony recorder.  Is there a simple way
>> get that sound into my dual G4 -- which has no sound input?  I have a
>> JVC  HR-DVS3U connected via firewire, which obviously has analog input
>> jacks for the VHS side.  Any way to feed through that?  If not, is
>> there
>> some not-too-expensive way of digitizing the recorded sound and
>> inputting to the G4?
>
> This is along the lines of something that I've been wondering.  I've
> got a
> Canopus ADVC-100, and have been wondering if I can't simply hook
> something
> like a turntable or 8-Track tape deck up to it and use the ADVC-100 to
> capture audio to my G5.  Anyone ever try anything like this?  If so,
> any
> advice?
>
> 		Zane

I have a Sony Media converter. I wish Garageband could see it.
I have a mixer hooked up to it with a DBX comp/limiter inserted to the
active channels.
I can put anything through here into FCP. Capture audio only/ stereo
for convenience.
Big advice is to keep levels low. Average should be about -12  on the
FCP meters.
If like me you have big VU meters to stare at then you want to see
about a -3 peak
at most. (unless your limiter is sucking it up).
Jim