More on MXProDV mixer

Colin McDonald cmmcdonald at mac.com
Sun Jun 27 12:21:16 PDT 2004

Sorry to drone on abput this, but there may be someone interested apart
from myself :-)

Did my first gig live mixing on Wednesday evening - 3 cameras (all
fairly experienced operators), computer graphics operator and separate
sound team - total 5 on video and 2 on sound.

No audio communication between myself and cameras but a fair degree of
telepathy developing. Live to large projector screen (the main
objective) and straight to DVD recorder just for fun.

No problems at all with DV signal being recognised by the DV burner but
still no joy outputting to DV camera or Mac via DV out.

I also experienced problems using Titanium PowerBook 667 to generate
titles - couldn't get a stable image on S video or composite
connection. Image was  B & W and with horizontal lines across it. My
PowerBook detected the MXProDV as an external monitor right away but no
resolution or refresh rate options available to fiddle woth. Is this to
be expected?  I've only ever used proper monitors, TVs and projectors
before.

I ended up using a desktop PC and SongPro to generate titles - there
was a similar connection problem initially but the PC operator fixed it
very quickly. Embarrasing and quite the reverse of my normal experience
when my PowerBook comes to the rescue of distracted Windows users.

The recorded footage was good for DVD I suppose but disappointing
compared to the DV tapes. No surprise there, Erica!

Colin  McDonald