[MacDV] DVD Burning

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Sun Mar 7 20:06:47 PST 2004

Too many steps!  All you need to do is export straight from Premiere to
a referencing movie -- you don't even need QuickTime Pro since you can
just go straight from Premiere to your QuickTime referencing movie for
iDVD.  A referencing movie just "references" the original clips so you
don't have to waste drive space when exporting -- it's a single
QuickTime file that has pointers to the original source clips.  You may
have to render everything in your Premiere timeline first, but you'll
save tons of drive space.  FYI, a movie exported from Premiere *is*
already a QuickTime file, so the whole QuickTime Pro step is totally
redundant.  If you feel the need to create another huge file (rather
than creating a referencing movie, then make sure to export to DV
format -- DV stream with 48kHz audio would be best just in case you
need to bring it into iMovie -- see below).

So after you have your movie from Premiere, just drag it into iDVD and
go from there.  No need to complicate matters with iMovie.  That is,
unless you want to set chapters, in which case you'll need to import
your Premiere referencing movie into iMovie (version 3 or later) and go
from there -- set your chapter markers and then move to iDVD from
within iMovie (no need to export yet another huge file).

That should get you started.  So, rather than spending money on
QuickTime Pro, maybe put that towards a copy of iLife?

- Mark