Bizarre Final Cut Pro Problem

animal animal at cuug.ab.ca
Wed Mar 24 10:26:05 PST 2004

You're likely right about the PC virus not afffecting Macs but please
remember my Emac started coughing, becoming sluggish and acting
stranger than normal AFTER I tried to open that attachment.  FCP
COINCIDENTALLY has also gradually deteriorated and is almost unusable
now since the attachment.  I have long since disposed of the evil
attachment.  I doubt a Mac virus would have died out before I bought
Norten Antivirus to diagnose it.

I've now tried capturing DV to three different Firewire external hard
drives via FCP on the Emac - and experience the same (now immediate)
freezing problem on all 3 and capturing to the internal.  All 3 plus
the internal Emac hard drive have 10GB or more space.  That is until I
try to capture DV, the computer color wheel starts spinning and then
the scratch disk ends always ends up with 1.43GB of space left and the
clip file varies in size to whatever adds up to 1.43GB of space left.

I'm not disagreeing it's a hard drive or software  issue but 4 hard
drives going at once or 3 external Firewire drive bridges??

I've tried everything you folks have suggested.  I haven't gotten to
it, but my only option to use FCP now - as I see it - is to erase the
Emac hard drive, reinstall software and pray everything works after
that.

Thanks for all the help
Lynn