[MacDV] Re: Which format?

Bruce Pillman bpillman at rochester.rr.com
Wed May 5 15:35:31 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, May 5, 2004, at 09:13 AM, Lee Chapman wrote:
> When I exported my 11 minute film to QT at highest settings the end
> result was still pretty awful. In the end I used DIVX which produced a
> fairly large file ( but still small enough to fit on a CD ) and the
> quality was much, much better. As the client will be transferring the
> file from CD to run directly from his hard drive I thought this was the
> best way to go. I'm still a little disappointed that I couldn't get QT
> to produce a better end product, even after several attempts each with
> different settings. DIVX, for me at least, appears to be far superior
> to QT.

I certainly agree that QT is not a low quality format. The quality
depends on the codec used, and the settings used. I'm not sure what you
mean by highest settings. I found that iMovie's normal high quality
settings were still awful by my standards. I've exported from iMovie to
QT using the Sorensen codec, (Best, 29.97 fps, key frame 24, 500
KBytes/sec) and gotten pretty good results. That's not to say they're as
good as DIVX. Did a few experiments with what came along with iMovie,
and stuck with that. Now I'll want to go look at DIVX :)

Good luck, and thanks for sharing your results...
Bruce