[MacDV] DVD-R 2x?

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Thu May 20 20:06:00 PDT 2004

The *only* DVD-Rs that I've found that actually burn at 2x with the
latest firmware that you can apply on a Mac (v1.90 on my Apple/Pioneer
103 that came with my G4/867) are Apple *2x* DVD-Rs TDKs.  The TDKs
more expensive at about $2.60 each, but if you value your time, then
they're worth it.  I haven't found any other "cheap" 2x-rated DVD-R
media to actually burn at 2x on an Apple/Pioneer 103 (SuperDrive) or a
Pioneer 104 (both with latest Mac firmware updates) -- you gotta read
the fine print about compatibility on all the DVD-R media reseller
websites...

There are two things you can do to get better burning speed with better
media flexibility:

1. Invest in a new DVD burner (that's what I did).  The latest Pioneer
drive (107/A07) burns at 8x, and supports all 4x media (which is sooo
cheap now).  So the money you'll save on media over time will
definitely add up (maybe not to exactly the $100 or so an A07 will cost
you, but the time and frustration factor into the equation too, so take
that into consideration).

- or -

2.  Find a friend or family with a PC that will let you upgrade the
firmware in your drive (103 or 104 right?) to the latest available from
Pioneer's web site.  I'm not sure if it will mess up an Apple-branded
drive, though (even thought they're the exact same actual mechanism).
Maybe there is some info on the web somewhere about flashing
Apple-branded Pioneer "SuperDrives" with the Pioneer firmware on a PC.

Help any?

- Mark