[MacDV] Re: importing files to iMovie

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 24 19:08:05 PDT 2004

>> Got it. So right now, PS Elements says my original "document" is 1200
>> pixels
>> wide X 300 high.  The variables I can change are width, height and
>> resolution. Right now the resolution is 600 pixels/inch, and the
>> corresponding width and height are 2" W X .5" high. Sorry for being
>> such a
>> novice about this but are there some magic numbers I should enter into
>> the
>> width and height boxes, or the resolution box, to get me to 640 X 480
>> pixels? Unfortunately the width and height boxes only allow for
>> inches, cms,
>> mms, etc., but not pixels. I went thru PS's help files, but they seem
>> mostly
>> to deal with print use, rather than video.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian
>>

> I have photoshop CS and my image size window HAS a pixels box to change
> it.
> Image size?
> Not canvas size . And I hope that's on black because it isn't a screen
> filler.
> assuming that you don't do this every day a certain amount of trial and
> error is indicated but if you can't get your iMovie output to a screen
> you are somewhat hampered.

My basic confusion rests in the fact that my current image is 1200 pixels
wide by 300 high, a 4:1 ratio, so when I try to convert the width to 640,
instead of 640 X 480 I end up with 640 X 160 (thru resampling the image, but
constraining the proportions.) Will 640 X 160 work? And you're right, I
realize that with a black type logo on a white background, once I have this
step straightened out, I'm going to have to next figure out how to design
the iMovie frame so I don't have a logo that's black on white, sitting in
the middle of a black frame.

That's why I was hoping I could just rip the frames from my existing video,
which I did with DVDBackup, and then figure out how to get them from there
to iMovie. I downloaded MPEG Streamclip, but can't quite figure out if I
also have to download some additional software as well to make them
compatible with iMovie.