[MacDV] Re: importing files to iMovie

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sun Oct 24 19:19:19 PDT 2004

On Sunday, October 24, 2004, at 10:08  PM, Brian Olesky wrote:

> My basic confusion rests in the fact that my current image is 1200
> pixels
> wide by 300 high, a 4:1 ratio, so when I try to convert the width to
> 640,
> instead of 640 X 480 I end up with 640 X 160 (thru resampling the
> image, but
> constraining the proportions.) Will 640 X 160 work? And you're right, I
> realize that with a black type logo on a white background, once I have
> this
> step straightened out, I'm going to have to next figure out how to
> design
> the iMovie frame so I don't have a logo that's black on white, sitting
> in
> the middle of a black frame.

Right. again this is a trial and error situation . Your file is not
going to get hurt if you save as
  when you are working it and preserve your original.
If I were doing it. I would try magic wanding the logo and pasting it
on a new frame of alpha nothingness.
Then I would key it in with FCP on a nice background or black or white
and apply some gentle motion.
I've never tried this with iMovie.
  So reduce it.
  It will be a strip across the middle.
  Paste it into a new Photoshop document  w/ dimensions of 640x480 and a
white background. That should give you a full frame deal to work with.

> That's why I was hoping I could just rip the frames from my existing
> video,
> which I did with DVDBackup, and then figure out how to get them from
> there
> to iMovie. I downloaded MPEG Streamclip, but can't quite figure out if
> also have to download some additional software as well to make them
> compatible with iMovie.

That will look like shit.